RSS

I Miss Summer Reading

My first official day at the Summer Reading Program, and man it was hectic. I had forgotten how much I love volunteering, how much I miss the library and the Summer Reading Program. I also realized how tired I've become. I've lost a lot of the energy that I used to have for the summer. Anywho... The craft was making ojos de dios which are these cool necklaces made of colorful yarn wrapped around two sticks glued together. The whole thing creates this cool web, kind of like a dream-catcher only less intricate. The snack was a basic tortilla scoopable chip with a block of cheese melted in it.

The game, one of my least favorites, was Wolf and Rabbit. It's a tag game. There's a square on the ground, a beach ball (or in this case a blowup globe), one wolf, and a whole bunch of rabbits (all animals are kids in case you were wondering). The rabbits have to stay within the square and are able to run around, and they have to stay away from the wolf. The wolf begins with dribbling the ball, in order to move around, and has to hit the rabbits with the ball, in turn making them wolves. Then the dribbling stops, there's no running with the ball, and the wolves pass the ball back and forth, creating more wolves as they go. The wolves have the ability to leave the square and have the ability to run with the ball outside of it.

This game, as it is quite obvious, is not a good game to play with little kids. The older groups are fine, and the teen volunteers can even join in, but the younger groups are chaotic. We had one of those today. It was the Boys and Girls Club group. They liked to screech just for the fun of it. My ears are still ringing. They also didn't quite get the concept of the game, but they did better than the second group which somehow managed to have more and more rabbits every time Mrs. Ryan counted hands (which should have been the opposite). The last class, the Boys and Girls Club group, had to have been hyped up on sugar, on something. Maybe it was the prospect of dirt pudding cups. I don't know, but they tried to take down some of the volunteers! Literally. They were dragging them to the ground, tugging at their clothes. One girl was even found at the bottom of a dog pile a couple of times. They were that rambunctious. It was a hoot! LOL. I Intend to go tomorrow as well. Another day care. I've heard they were really rambunctious on book bag day. *Fingers crossed*

Lunch was pretty good. The librarians ordered from a new honey ham shop that sells sandwiches. It wasn't that bad and I was able to get two pickle spears and a Mountain Dew. All in all, it was good.

As for the rest of my day I finally got to see the Green Hornet again and now own it. I took a brief nap after since I was close to falling asleep during the movie. Then I worked some more on this blog, and watched another movie. Ten Inch Hero was amazing! Jensen Ackles was in it and he was a hoot! My favorite character from the movie. There was this one scene when he went to the grocery store, intending to buy supplies for the sandwich shop which happened to need tampons for the womens bathroom. He just stood there in the aisle panicking! He ends up calling a co-worker frantically about which ones to get. It was hilarious!

Stayed tuned for more of my random summer adventures. Peace. Out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment